The past week has been a busy news week for HOAs in Colorado. The trend continues with a column about community association manager licensing in today’s edition of the Snowmass Sun. Columnist Barbara Lucks describes how the role of community association managers is different from that of other property managers as she makes the case in support of manager licensing.

Do you think Ms. Lucks presents good arguments in favor of manager licensing?

By March 2nd, we will know whether Colorado’s Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) agrees with Ms. Lucks. We will report on DORA’s findings as soon as the information is available. Check — or subscribe to our email notifications — to receive timely updates on this topic and other issues affecting HOAs in Colorado. 

The first day of Spring and the recent sunshine and warm temperatures may have prompted you to start thinking about your Association’s Summer event calendar. If your Association’s list of events includes outdoor movie nights, concerts, or other performances, the Association may need to pay licensing fees. United States copyright laws protect composers, lyricists, music publishers, and movie producers and distributors, among others. Community associations that play music in recreational facilities, at festivals or at other events likely need to obtain the appropriate licenses to use the music. With few exceptions, showing movies also requires licensing. 

Continue Reading Community Association Summer Events: Licensing Your Music and Movie Use